Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
21st May and still no Rapture!!!  Good luck everyone....if the world ends...see you on the other side!  

My taste in music....

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
spacemariner26
Administrator
Administrator
spacemariner26

My taste in music.... Empty
PostSubject: My taste in music....   My taste in music.... EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 3:17 am

Was chatting with some friends about musical taste last night...and I know Becca brought up the issue a while back..so thought I would raise it again. We were listening to some 'new' music and thinking how awfully pretentious it was - and this obviously launched a trip down nostalgia lane.

I was born in 1968, so in the sixties I listened to my mum chanting nursery rhymes and stuff at me I guess (so she says). Then came the seventies - I went from 2 - 12 yrs old here - listening to my parents' records e.g. Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Motown etc - and I still love that stuff. In the late 70s I was just about ready to start finding myself in music and the flavour of those formative years was The Clash. I loved the idea of The Clash and have never stopped loving them. In the 80s, after a brief forgettable spell with New Romantic music, I saw the emergence of bands like U2, Simple Minds, Joy Dvision etc.

In 1986, everything changed. I started University and became quite arrogant musically. Playing in a band didn't help - we were up our own backsides round about then - slamming all popular music and only listening to the kind of stuff we played ourselves like Lloyd Cole etc. Although I have to say...I never have been a fan of Morrisey, which seemed to be the rage then. Towards the end of that phase...I found The Stone Roses - who were awesome.

Then came the 90s - bringing me the great Oasis and bands from America like REM and Nirvana. I'm not sure the 90s brought much else to be honest - and I distinctly remember being very close-minded about the general music of that period. I got married in 1993 - and my wife and I seemed to dwell on our existing record collections and not invite in much that was new.

Then in the late 90s and early 2000s....in a discussion with my best friend Sandro and some others...we had a revelation that we would support 'New' musical talent. We scoured the musical information magazines of the time and regularly went to watch bands and solo artists perform in the most obscure and run-down places imaginable to man.

This is how it's been since. We have seen some crap...like Zebedee's Revenge, a really awesome name for a hopelessly untalented group of musicians. But in amongst the garbage - there were exciting artists like Gorillaz, Lily Allen, Florence and the Machines etc.

Now...here we are today. We seem to have again hit a bit of a fallow period. We see nothing much we really like. I go to watch my son play in his band now - and quite like the music they play (Arctic Monkeys, Metallica etc). But nothing is really crying out to me. Last night a band called Elbow were playing in the background as I chatted with some friends - it was pretty good....but it sparked off our discussion about the current musical drought.
Back to top Go down
Na_nashi

Na_nashi

PostSubject: Re: My taste in music....   My taste in music.... EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 9:00 pm

I didn't know that a person was allowed to like *both* Oasis and Gorillaz at the same time .............

Back to top Go down
spacemariner26
Administrator
Administrator
spacemariner26

PostSubject: Re: My taste in music....   My taste in music.... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 9:48 am

You are thinking of Blur! There was a big battle of the bands between Oasis and Blur at a time...I liked them both!! Nobody knows who really won...some say Blur, some say Oasis....doesn't really matter, they were equally awesome. Kinda like The Stones and The Beatles -- but MUCH lower profile. Although I loved the arthouse shananigans of Blur...the raw, nostalgic, simplicity of Oasis made a lasting impression on me (hence I left Blur out of the summary).

As you no doubt know, Damon Albarn, frontman for Blur, went on to create Gorillaz much later. I guess he moved on from the old battle...I've haven't heard him say what a t**t he thinks Liam is lately : )
Back to top Go down
maggie4818mag
maggie4818mag

PostSubject: Re: My taste in music....   My taste in music.... EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 10:32 am

hehe whatever you say sugar nothing better then my Music in whole world : ))
specially this guy russian one uh oh remember : ))
Back to top Go down
spacemariner26
Administrator
Administrator
spacemariner26

PostSubject: Re: My taste in music....   My taste in music.... EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 8:15 am

lol @ best music in the world : )

Sweetie...we each have our own taste in music. Yours really is quite unique!!
Back to top Go down
maggie4818mag
maggie4818mag

PostSubject: Re: My taste in music....   My taste in music.... EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 2:24 am

where are you sugar ,bring your sexy ass or in facebook or in skype ...
Back to top Go down

My taste in music....
Page 1 of 1