Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
21st May and still no Rapture!!!  Good luck everyone....if the world ends...see you on the other side!  

Bulgarian Medics Trial in Lybia ....

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
maggie4818mag
maggie4818mag

Bulgarian Medics Trial in Lybia .... Empty
PostSubject: Bulgarian Medics Trial in Lybia ....   Bulgarian Medics Trial in Lybia .... EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 12:51 pm

. I hope u people post your opinions after reading all what i will post down . I wont post my opinion cause i actually dont have one ... there a one big tragedy with all thoise kids ,with their familly .....and the nurses !! OK sit comfortable and 1 hour this topic need your attention Smile

Bulgarian Medics' Trial in Libya

Health professionals from the Benghazi Children's Hospital informed the Bulgarian Embassy that 2 bulgarians have been detained by the Libyan authorities. Daily interrogations with Bulgarian medical workers were also conducted.
Bulgarian health professionals working at the Benghazi hospital went missing, 17 of them were released.
February 18. The Embassy in Tripoli officially informed of "precautionary measures" having been taken against several Bulgarian doctors and nurses working at the Benghazi Children's Hospital.
The Embassy in Tripoli informed that the six Bulgarians will probably be tried.
The case was downgraded by a judge. The medics had faced trial in a people's court in Libya, which is reserved for cases that allegedly threaten state security or involves acts of sabotage. The case is sent to the prosecutor's office. They now faced a criminal court, which carries potentially lighter sentences.In the meantime Libya arrests some 20 people, who allegedly tortured the Bulgarians.

2003 Renowned microbiologist Vittorio Collizi testified in favor of the Bulgarian defendants in Libya's HIV case. The discoverer of the HIV virus, Prof. Luc Montaigner answered affirmatively the questions of the defense in favor of the six Bulgarian medics. Montaigner has reiterated many times the conclusions of the report he had compiled on the case together with colleague microbiologist Vittorio Collizi at a commission of the Libyan state. According to the report, the HIV infection, which the Bulgarians have been accused of, started at the Al-Fatah hospital in Benghazi as early as 1997 before the Bulgarians took medical jobs there. He stressed the contamination continued to spread after February 1999 when the accused medics were arrested
The civil prosecutor for families of the HIV-infected children demanded that USD 4 B be paid in damages, a claim totalling around half of Bulgaria's foreign debt. According to the lawyer of the Libyan parents a total of 426 children have been infected with HIV, which makes over USD 10 M in damages per child. The civil prosecutor involved the claim with the principle of equality of the people around the world and drew parallels with the Lockerbie bombing."
At the beginning of 2004 the team of 12 Libyan doctors rejected the report by Montaigner and Collizi. The Libyan report states that the infection is a result of deliberate actions. It also questions the claims that the Bulgarian medics have been tortured into making confessions.
In the middle of January the European Union urged the Libyan side to drop the charges against the six Bulgarian medics in a demarche to the Libyan government handed by the ambassadors of the UK and the Netherlands.
Benghazi Criminal Court delivered death sentences against the six Bulgarian medics accused of deliberately infecting 426 Libyan children with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. Zdravko Georgiev, one of the Bulgarian defendants in the HIV trial in Libya, has been released from prison. He has not been sentenced to death but to four years in prison, a sentence, which he has already served during the investigation and the hearings of the court.
Foreign Minister Solomon Passy in a statement at the United Nations called for the support of the organization over the Libyan tria
Libya is ready to discuss the possible repealing of the death sentences of the five Bulgarian nurses but only after Bulgaria offers financial compensations, Libyan Foreign Minister Abdel-Rahman Shalgam was cited as saying.
Libya will not execute the five Bulgarian nurses and the Palestinian doctor sentenced to death earlier this year for infecting more than 400 children with HIV in 1998, according to a son of the Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Qaddafi. The New York Times reported Seif al-Islam as saying that "no one is going to execute anyone. "
The trial against the two Libyan officers who had allegedly tortured the Bulgarian nurses in Libya to extract false confessions was postponed for March 22.
.The US Assistant Secretary of State for the Middle East William Burns has urged Libya to free the five Bulgarian nurses on the lingered HIV trial.
Members of the European Parliament have voiced determination for further support to Bulgaria's five convicted nurses in Libya.
EU Enlargement Commissioner Olli Rehn backed Sofia's attempts to secure the release of five Bulgarian nurses sentenced to death in Libya for deliberate infection of hundreds of children with the AIDS virus.
A Southern Libyan court has delayed for the third time the hearing of the two civil indemnity claims, filed by families of infected Libyan children in the HIV trial against the Bulgarian medics ther
Muammar Qaddafi pledged he will not release the Bulgarian nurses on the death row in Libya, snubbing international calls for their freedom.
Tripoli officially denied Muammar Qaddafi has pledged not to release the Bulgarian nurses on the death row in Libya, as claimed by Wednesday's reports from the Arab League summit in Algiers.
UN Secretary General Kofi Annan expressed his hopes that the hearing of the appeal of the Bulgarian nurses sentenced to death in Libya will bring good news to the entire Bulgarian nation.
March 29.Libya's Supreme Court is to deliver its judgement on the case with the Bulgarian nurses sentenced to death on May 31. The five-member panel of the Supreme Cassation Court convened Tuesday for the appeal hearing against the death sentences on the five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian doctor for allegedly infecting with AIDS more than 400 Libyan children.
. The Tripoli court postponed for May 10 the case against nine Libyan policemen and a doctor accused of torturing Bulgarian nurses on death row into making confessions.
Seif al-Islam-headed charitable foundation, which is monitoring the trial against the Bulgarian nurses in Libya, announced the number of HIV-infected children, who died at the Benghazi hospital, has reached fifty.
From the visit of Benita Ferrero-Waldner to Tripoli, it has become clear that Libya is looking for an acceptable solution of the case with the Bulgarian nurses there, said Solomon Passy, Bulgaria's foreign minister. The EU Commissioner Ferrero Waldner talked to Passy telling him the results from her meetings with the country's leader Muammar Qaddafi and the Prime Minister Shukri Ghanim.
Tension is reaching a breaking point a day before Tripoli's Supreme Court rules on the appeal of the five Bulgarian nurses on death row, said doctor Zdravko Georgiev, the only released Bulgarian convict in the HIV trial.
Five nurses and a doctor sentenced to death by firing squad in Libya for deliberately infecting hundreds of children with the HIV virus could be spared after diplomatic intervention by the European Union, The Times wrote after Tripoli's supreme court postponed until November 15 an appeal against the sentences against the Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian doctor.
A Tripoli court acquitted Tuesday ten Libyans accused of torturing death-sentenced Bulgarian nurses into making confessions. The defendants - nine Libyan security officers and a doctor - were charged with torturing the nurses to extract confessions that they deliberately infected 426 children with the HIV virus that causes AIDS in a Benghazi hospital.

The families of the HIV-infected Libyan children have ruled out negotiations over the fate of the five Bulgarian convicts and insist that they are executed. "Faced with the tragedy of our children and the negligence of the world, we insist that the death sentences against the convicts be carried out and will not accept any negotiations, compromises or deals in this case," reads a letter of the families sent to AFP section in Tripoli
The European Commission moved forward in its efforts to help HIV sufferers in Libya and to assist the five Bulgarian nurses, jailed in the African country. Although EC said that actions undertaken are not connected to its efforts for the release of the five Bulgarian nurses and the Palestinian doctors, experts say that it would certainly have an effect on the trial. EC and the Libyan authorities have agreed to immediately to implement urgent policy advice and technical support to the Libyan health authorities and upgrade the capacity of the Benghazi Centre for Infectious Diseases and Immunology to international standards.
A draft resolution was adopted by the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, calling on the Libyan authorities to release the death-sentenced Bulgarian medics and a Palestinian doctor and secure a fair trial.
A Benghazi court postponed for December 17 the hearing of the second civil indemnity claim, filed by families of infected Libyan children in the HIV trial against five Bulgarian nurses.
The US has confirmed its unwavering stance that the Bulgarian medics on a death row in Libya should be set free. This was said by US President George W. Bush after conferring with Bulgarian President Georgi Parvanov, for the first time in the White House.
Tripoli rejected the appeal of US President George Bush for the release of the five Bulgarian nurses facing the death penalty in Libya after being found guilty of deliberately infecting with HIV/AIDS some 426 children in a Benghazi hospital. Libyan Foreign Minister Abdel Rahman Shalgam rejected the call by US President George Bush for Tripoli to spare the lives of the Bulgarian nurses.
Russia supports strongly the stance of Bulgarian government on the innocence of the five medics sentenced to death in Libya. Russia's Foreign Affairs Minister Sergey Lavrov has assured Bulgarian Parliamentary Speaker Georgi Pirinski that he will put this issue forward during his upcoming international contacts.
Bulgaria remains adamant in its refusal to pay indemnities for the freedom of the Bulgarian defendants in Lybia's HIV trial. Foreign Minister commented the publication in the Asharq Al Awsat newspaper, which claimed that Libya is ready to release the nurses should Sofia pay compensation to special fund and a charitable organisation. He said that Bulgaria is part of the EU humanitarian plan aimed at helping Libya deal with the AIDS disaster in Benghazi.
Libya has offered to spare the lives of five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian doctor on death row if the UK hands over the man convicted of the Lockerbie bombing, according to The Sunday Times. Tripoli has told British and US diplomats that it will free the medical staff on a death row if Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi is allowed to serve the remainder of his life sentence in Libya, the newspaper reported.
Ahead of the November 15 session of the Libyan Supreme Court that has to decide on the appeal of the death sentences imposed on the five Bulgarian nurses and the Palestinian doctor, the French Le Figaro published an article named "Libya: five Bulgarian nurses hostages of Qaddafi.
The European Union (EU) and the US are ready to pay for the release of the five Bulgarian nurses sentenced to death in Tripoli, the former Libyan Justice Minister, now Libyan Ambassador in London Muhammad Al-Zaway said in an interview for BBC.
If the confessions of Bulgarian medics on a death row were extracted by torture, this fact makes those confessions void, Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi told CNN. As quoted by Bulgarian media, the Libyan leader stated, however, that the final decision is not at his discretion, but at the hands of the Libyan court.
A Libyan newspaper has said that there had been secret talks on the fate of Bulgaria's nurses in Libya, but negotiations failed. Libya Today was cited as saying that Libyan, Bulgarian and British officials were holding secret talks to resolve the crisis. After Bulgaria refused to pay compensations to the HIV victims involved in the trial, the dialogue was frozen, the report has said, as cited by Bulgarian medics

So will be very interesting for me to read opinions from people who arent bulgarians ...because i have discussed thise case only with bulgarians .

Last edited by maggie4818mag on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:30 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sylvia
Sylvia

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian Medics Trial in Lybia ....   Bulgarian Medics Trial in Lybia .... EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 1:37 pm

sorryy maggie that isnt writing in a easy english and i not gona go to translate that all lolol
I am simle to lazy lolol

sylvia
Back to top Go down
spacemariner26
Administrator
Administrator
spacemariner26

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian Medics Trial in Lybia ....   Bulgarian Medics Trial in Lybia .... EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 5:49 am

Oh man! What a depressing and complicated topic Maggie!

I have read about this case before, so forgive me if I speak after just scanning what you have posted here. You want our opinion on this tragic situation? Ok...well here goes with my contribution...

First, let's remember that the lives of a lot of children are involved here and that the health professionals were in jail for over a decade despite protesting their innocence. Also, let's not forget the political context in which this tragedy has unfolded and Libya's inability to put together a strong case that doesn't wreak of corruption in their police.

As I understand it, the Libyan police tortured the suspects to extract confessions, which undermines the integrity of any evidence that has been presented. Scientific support from the international community comes down in support for the Bulgarians and there is a strong suggestion that the children had already been infected with HIV, which I have not seen disputed.

In this situation - I just don't trust the Libyans. They seem to be using emotive and political arguments rather than anything that is clearly evidenced. I don't feel it is apporpriate to claim that the whole world is bullying you to release a bunch of babykillers - but have nothing substantial to prove it. It would be more appropriate to identify the legal reasons why they should not be released - and provide the necessary evidence to support your claim.

So....my opinion on this: Yes, I think the prisoners should have been released. WHY? Well because I don't think the evidence supports any kind of conviction.

Most importantly - children are suffering as a result and the Libyan police are culpable. Libya needs to sort out the issues it has with corruption and an ad hoc approach to justice. Matters are not helped when you learn that the Libyans are pursuing compensation from the Bulgarian government - why would they do that and confirm some kind of guilt?

If we could trust Libya to make a full and thorough investigation which has some integrity - we may find out what really happened. Somehow, I don't think I will hold my breath waiting for that to happen.
Back to top Go down
maggie4818mag
maggie4818mag

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian Medics Trial in Lybia ....   Bulgarian Medics Trial in Lybia .... EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 8:05 am

BUT Space ...u said u dont trust lybian ok ...u said too that Lybia have to get out from corruption well here i will tell you .Bulgaria is very corrupted country too ....whats the difference oh yeah we are earopians our laws arent like Lybian of course and etc .BUt you know what annoy me in all this story ...the interantional media didnt pay too much attention ...and i know is very depressing and etc ..i .Something esle too in this hospital were working MANY others nurses from another countries .......and sorry the topic is so long but thats the only thing i find in the international sites .
ty for your reply Space ...
and LOL Sylvia yeah ..
Maggie

Last edited by maggie4818mag on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pinkie1

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian Medics Trial in Lybia ....   Bulgarian Medics Trial in Lybia .... EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 11:33 am

Maggie, I agree with you on one point: if trhose nurses were americans or british the media would have payed more attention to the case.
But, I have to tell you that I dont trust the justice in a country like Libya, still under a dictatorship. I cant say they are or not guilty (or even have an opinion) because I dont know all the facts, but it seems pretty obvious something wasnt right when we talk about torturing for getting confessions from the doctors. Hell, I dont trust justice in Romania either but at least usually we dont judge foreign citizens, we just send them to their countries! Let them judge!
I also dont trust anything when I hear the word "negociations" between 2 countries: they use those citizens to make a trade. I can tell you one thing tho: I dont agree with the death penalty and I DO hope those people are not guilty.
Back to top Go down

Bulgarian Medics Trial in Lybia ....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Discussion Topics :: The Big Issues-
Jump to: