Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
21st May and still no Rapture!!!  Good luck everyone....if the world ends...see you on the other side!  

Educational systems

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Educational systems Empty
PostSubject: Educational systems   Educational systems EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 1:13 pm

merry christmas

Last edited by Lillie on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nicky

PostSubject: Re: Educational systems   Educational systems EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 12:01 am

ok ile give it a shot at how our system works the best i can.

children start nursery school usually from their 3rd birthday but some nurserys take them in from 2 yrs 6 months on a part time basis.usually if a child has some form of special needs it is detected in nursery school if its not obvious before .

infant school - they start when they 4/5 they have to be 4 before september the 1st.and we have reception class , year 1 and year 2

junior school is from 7 yrs to 10/ 11 yrs. and has years 3,4,5,6 .

secondary school is from ages 11- 16 but they are apparently changing it to 18.

in secondary school u follow a timetable set out for u which is usually( first 3 years)
english
maths
science
art
pe
technology
drama
music
history
geography
R.E
and a language every secondary school do different

when in year 9 which is about 13 yrs old u choose your subjects which u will follow for the remaining 2 years

when i was in school we had to choose
english
math
pe
science
R.E
then whatever subjects of our choice from a list

i done
english
math
french
science
history
typing
accountancy
pe
R.E
tecnology

when leave school at 16 u can either go onto college or get a job.

special needs schools are different they start from ages 2yrs 5 months and finish when they 19 usually and every child follows their one IEP. some special needs school intergrate children into the mainstream schools but not all.

im sure space will be able to put right any mistakes i have made
Back to top Go down
CwAzY

CwAzY

PostSubject: Re: Educational systems   Educational systems EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 1:08 am

You're right nicky that's why I didn't bother lol.

From what I can remember, you have it pretty
much right, when I left school I got a job not too
sure if you remember YTS scheme? YTS meaning
Youth Training Scheme very low pay, but also
went to college on day release, got few results
there but admiteddly I was more interested in
earning, must admit now, wish I did things
differently, but hey i'm doing alright out of it : )

Once the company I worked for seen how hard I was
trying they kept me on full time, gave me the option of
wanting to stay on day release at college if I remeber right
but I declined then sadly company got bought out, I moved
with them, but was never the same, so I got another job
which is where I still am after almost 19 years!!!

CwAzY
Back to top Go down
nicky

PostSubject: Re: Educational systems   Educational systems EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 1:18 am

yes i remeber the yts scheme my brother went on to doing it. i went on to college for 4 yrs. my grades in school werent very gud so i deicded college was the best option and start at the bottom and work my way through the 4 yrs to get to the level i wanted.

i left college and ended up with 2 jobs one on night dutie in an old ppls home and one in day care was hard for a while woring all nite then all day some days but i loved it. decided old ppl where not wat i wanted to do and stuck with children. after 5 yrs in that job i changed direction and went into fostering .
Back to top Go down
spacemariner26
Administrator
Administrator
spacemariner26

PostSubject: Re: Educational systems   Educational systems EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 5:12 am

You've done a grand job there Nicky - that's pretty much the structure of our statutory education system.

Perhaps it is worth mentioning that we have a National Curriculum in this country - that basically means that all children receive the same diet of subjects and subject content at specific ages (or Key Stages as we call them). These are monitored through National Tests.

Also - although the statutory ages for schooling are 5 - 16 at the moment...many of our pupils attend 6th forms or 6th form colleges until they are 18. After that, they engage in Higher or Further Education if they wish to.

On the subject of 'Special Schools' - these are subject to regular review. Our education system basically believes in the inclusion of children into mainstream education wherever possible. As a result, many special schools have been closed and special resourced units have been developed to provide for SEN children within the context of mainstream schools.

My final point - and I think this is important - is that EDUCATION in the UK is all too often used as a political football. Political parties are forever creating new initiatives to improve provision for our children and young people. However, this sometimes does more damage than good because the motivation is not always to build on successes but to criticise the work of the political party that came before them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Educational systems   Educational systems EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 5:36 am

merry christmas
Back to top Go down

Educational systems
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Discussion Topics :: The Big Issues-
Jump to: