Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
21st May and still no Rapture!!!  Good luck everyone....if the world ends...see you on the other side!  

*** Second Life ***

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Endrin
Endrin

*** Second Life *** Empty
PostSubject: *** Second Life ***   *** Second Life *** EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 8:42 pm

I know this isnt a console game so Im guessing if a thread like this has an applicable spot it will be moved there =)

Second Life is a free 3D virtual world where users can socialize, connect and create using voice and text chat.

Second Life (SL) is a virtual world developed by Linden Lab that launched on June 23, 2003 and is accessible via the Internet. A free client program called the Second Life Viewer enables its users, called Residents, to interact with each other through avatars. Residents can explore, meet other residents, socialize, participate in individual and group activities, and create and trade virtual property and services with one another, or travel throughout the world, which residents refer to as the grid. Second Life caters to users aged eighteen and over, while its sister site Teen Second Life is for younger users.

Built into the software is a three dimensional modeling tool based around simple geometric shapes that allows a resident to build virtual objects. This can be used in combination with the Linden Scripting Language which can be used to add functionality to objects. More complex three dimensional Sculpted prims (colloquially known as sculpties), textures for clothing or other objects, and animations and gestures can be created using external software. The Second Life Terms of Service ensure that users retain copyright for any content they create, and the server and client provide simple digital rights management functions.

Avatars may take any form the user chooses, animal, vegetable or mineral, including being made to resemble the person whom they represent.[9] A single Resident account may have only one avatar at a time, although the appearance of this avatar can change between as many different forms as the Resident wishes. A single person may also have multiple accounts, and thus appear to be multiple Residents (a person's multiple accounts are referred to as alts).

Second Life has an internal currency, the Linden dollar (L$). L$ can be used to buy, sell, rent or trade land or goods and services with other users. Virtual goods include buildings, vehicles, devices of all kinds, animations, clothing, skin, hair, jewelry, flora and fauna, and works of art. Services include "camping", wage labor, business management, entertainment and custom content creation (which can be broken up into the following 6 categories: building, texturing, scripting, animating, art direction, and the position of producer/project funder). L$ can be purchased using US Dollars and other currencies on the LindeX exchange provided by Linden Lab, independent brokers (such as VirWoX and MaxMoney) or other resident users. Money obtained from currency sales is most commonly used to pay Second Life's own subscription and tier fees; only a relatively small number of users earn large amounts of money from the world. According to figures published by Linden Lab, about 64.000 users made a profit in Second Life in February 2009, of whom 38524 made less than US$10, while 233 made more than US$5000. Profits are derived from selling virtual goods, renting land, and a broad range of services. In March 2009, it has become known that there exist a few Second Life entrepreneurs, whose profits exceed 1 million US$ per year.

Yes Im talking about a video game that you can actually earn money by creating things to sell or by selling vitural land.

Some companies generate US dollar earnings from services provided in Second Life. Examples are Languagelife.com, Rivers Run Red and Beta Technologies. This opportunity is extending to normal residents and non-Second Life users via affiliate programs. The total value of these transactions has not been calculated but in 2008 consultancy firms Rivers Run Red and Electric Sheep have reported annual revenues of $6 million.

Give it a shot and tell me what you think =) http://secondlife.com/
Back to top Go down
spacemariner26
Administrator
Administrator
spacemariner26

PostSubject: Re: *** Second Life ***   *** Second Life *** EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 1:42 am

This actually sounds like a pretty good game - I'm interested lol.

I visited the site as soon as I read this post - sorry I haven't had a chance to respond till now.

The 3D worlds look awesome. I haven't joined up or played yet.

Just a question though...since the graphics look so good, is this going to be one of those games where the PC just keeps on freezing if you try to multi-task?

Thank you for this excellent post Endrin - exactly what this site is about.
Back to top Go down
Endrin
Endrin

PostSubject: Re: *** Second Life ***   *** Second Life *** EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 8:40 pm

Depending on what you running in the background yes it can. SL does take alot of resources and does lag from time to time but the lag can be caused by the amout of Prims (objects) in the world you are in at that time. Im sure if you running a good connection you wont have any major lag. All I can say is try it and if it works roll with it.
If you have a lag issues this site is a good aide. maybe reading though it first might give you an idea what you are up against...

http://www.massively.com/2008/09/29/massivelys-guide-to-reducing-your-second-life-lag/
Back to top Go down
Endrin
Endrin

PostSubject: Re: *** Second Life ***   *** Second Life *** EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 8:55 pm

*** Second Life *** SL
On the sundeck of the beachhouse I built.
Back to top Go down

*** Second Life ***
Page 1 of 1