Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
21st May and still no Rapture!!!  Good luck everyone....if the world ends...see you on the other side!  

Flash forward a few years

Go down 
AuthorMessage
meetme7
meetme7

Flash forward a few years Empty
PostSubject: Flash forward a few years   Flash forward a few years EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 8:04 am

Lake Kariba is Zambia's undiscovered Riviera ! It offers spectacular views, stunning sunsets, great fishing, boating opportunities and water sports, plus game viewing of the finest calibre.

This is Africa's largest man-made dam. It provides considerable electric power to both Zambia and Zimbabwe and supports a thriving commercial fishing industry. The sheer size of it makes one forget it's a dam, and in certain places it almost feels like an ocean.

There was great excitement in my household as I was invited by a couple of family friends to witness this amazing sight of 6 flood gates opening at Kariba Dam. This was quiet a historic event. The maximum flood gates ever opened was/is 4.

I was in my early teens at the time and I recall standing on the wall and you could feel the ground shaking. If my memory serves me correctly, they had all but the last section open on each gate as there were fears closing the gates against the massive flow. They were only opened for 48 hours. They did say at the time that they would never ever fully open all six again due to the volume and force of the water having gauged such a big hole below the wall which had to be repaired later.

I know there were reports of loads of fish washed up downstream stunned by the thunderous flow.

I also recall, we had an earth tremor which was attributed to the pressure of the water in the Zambesi Valley filling after the dam was completed. It was the most eerie feeling I’ve ever had, my bed shook and crept across the floor.

The video below gives you an insight at how powerful water really is with just 3 flood gates open. There is also some history about the building of the dam and the surrounding area.

Back to top Go down

Flash forward a few years
Page 1 of 1