Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
21st May and still no Rapture!!!  Good luck everyone....if the world ends...see you on the other side!  

My heart goes out to Japan

Go down 
AuthorMessage
meetme7
meetme7

My heart goes out to Japan Empty
PostSubject: My heart goes out to Japan   My heart goes out to Japan EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 9:10 am

As I have looked at the videos, images and stories coming out of Japan, the smells, sights and feelings of Hurricane Andrew have washed over me like my own tsunami. I only had just over a foot of water in my house and had the discomfort of no power for almost three weeks, but I still know how it feels and I know that look on many of the faces I see in the news reports. I’m just not sure I can explain it here. It’s one of those things you have to experience to really know what it feels like.

First there is just numbing shock. Not “oh my God, look at this” shock but quiet, numbing awe at what the power of nature can do and what is ahead for you in the hours, days, weeks and months to come.

You do what you have to do almost immediately because it is programmed into our DNA ... you make sure you have shelter, water and food. You make sure those close to you have the same. Then, you get to work cleaning and hauling, pulling out furniture, clothes and memories, all to be piled in front of your house to be picked up and taken away forever.

You are working too hard to make progress to even think about sitting down to cry. Add in all the wonderful neighbours, friends and strangers who show up, uninvited, to help with that work, adding to the pile of stuff from your life previous to the damage.

Looking at the pile, I sat down on the curb and cried. Then, I got back to work.

I can smell it. I can see it. I am sad. But I am on the other side of a natural disaster and can only watch those in Japan and know they too will survive.
Back to top Go down
meetme7
meetme7

My heart goes out to Japan Empty
PostSubject: My heart goes out to Japan   My heart goes out to Japan EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 1:19 pm

This whole thing has been a nightmare ... the quakes have not seemed to have stopped the entire time.

The latest big ones ... at 7.1 and 6.6 ... were big enough to cause their own aftershocks and set off a new series of quakes in quick succession.

The very fact that they have put this accident on the same level as Chernobyl .. even if it was a different kind of incident .. adds to the stress level.

I'd be lying if I said I had complete faith in what the authorities are telling us. We are given little pieces of information that we have to patch together ourselves.
Back to top Go down

My heart goes out to Japan
Page 1 of 1