Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
21st May and still no Rapture!!!  Good luck everyone....if the world ends...see you on the other side!  

Patients....ya gotta love 'em

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Serious_Plaguer
Bloggers
Bloggers
Serious_Plaguer

Patients....ya gotta love 'em Empty
PostSubject: Patients....ya gotta love 'em   Patients....ya gotta love 'em EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 9:25 am

A 43 year old white male presents to our emergency department with a severely infected hand. He has a purulent, long lesion (1.5 cm) over his digitus tertius (middle finger) and this finger as well as adjacent digits are darkly discolored. The purulent discharge from the wound is foul smelling. The wound is cleaned and patient sent for hand and arm radiographic evaluation. Xray results show clear signs of osteomyelitis of the phalanges as well as small bones of the hand and possibly beyond. The patient reports the wound occurred during a bar fight about 2 weeks ago. This same patient has been treated for acute alcoholism on three other occasions over the past 4 years and is currently on the liver transplant list as a result of his severe cirrhotic alcoholic liver disease.

Question……do you think this guy should remain on the transplant list??? BTW…..the hand had to be amputated after 3 days of intensive antibiotic therapy.

Last edited by Serious_Plaguer on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
spacemariner26
Administrator
Administrator
spacemariner26

PostSubject: Re: Patients....ya gotta love 'em   Patients....ya gotta love 'em EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 9:39 am

Ahhhh an ethical problem!!

My answer is no...in the first instance, based on the notion that organs are not readily available for transplant -- and someone more deserving may be overlooked in the process.

Then the softer, more humane person kicks in. What are the reasons for his alcoholism? Does he have dependents, and how will they fare after his death?

Back to top Go down
Serious_Plaguer
Bloggers
Bloggers
Serious_Plaguer

PostSubject: Re: Patients....ya gotta love 'em   Patients....ya gotta love 'em EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 10:44 am

Here's what I didn't tell you. When the guy came in with the infected hand, he was intoxicated (confirmed by BA). So he was removed from the list. He is unemployed, uninsured and father of two. They are poor and destined to become worse off. He will die. He is currently back in the hospital with aspiration pneumonia secondary to influenza. He'll probably die. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Heartssss
Bloggers
Bloggers
Heartssss

PostSubject: Re: Patients....ya gotta love 'em   Patients....ya gotta love 'em EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 10:58 am

59 year old hispanic woman presents in the ER. She is severely jaundiced with a history or cirrhocis, alcohol abuse, and malnutrition. Her amonia levels are over 100. She is alert and oriented to name only. She needs a new liver. Should she be placed on the donor list?

PS: Spanish speaking only family. On Medicaid.

Back to top Go down
Serious_Plaguer
Bloggers
Bloggers
Serious_Plaguer

PostSubject: Re: Patients....ya gotta love 'em   Patients....ya gotta love 'em EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 11:39 am

The fact that she is on Medicaid enhances her chances in most states!!!!! America1 Whose says we don't take care of our poor?
Back to top Go down
Heartssss
Bloggers
Bloggers
Heartssss

PostSubject: Re: Patients....ya gotta love 'em   Patients....ya gotta love 'em EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 11:40 am

Answer: She is transferred to Cedar Sinai and put on the transfer list! Only in America!
Back to top Go down

Patients....ya gotta love 'em
Page 1 of 1