Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
21st May and still no Rapture!!!  Good luck everyone....if the world ends...see you on the other side!  

Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect

Go down 
+4
Sylvia
spacemariner26
CwAzY
maggie4818mag
8 posters
AuthorMessage
maggie4818mag
maggie4818mag

Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect Empty
PostSubject: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 8:29 am

Well ....knows the discussion for religion is not good idea in net ..but today our admin .provoked me so will post something specially for him in here ,will try to explain to our admin my personal views about religion ..Not going even start whats Islam or whatever ...the question is not to talk about what Islam is or what Cristianity is ..the question is ..that i find for deffinetely wrong the statement that strong belivers have low intelect ..
Religion is a universal intellect, a guidance from beyond human reason and human experience.
So that he may survive and fulfill his functions as God’s vicegerent, man is empowered with three principal faculties. These are his appetites — for the opposite sex, offspring, livelihood, commodities, etc.; his anger or forcefulness in defense and struggle; and his power of reasoning or intellect. Since man is tested in his worldly life and has freedom of will, these faculties are not restricted in creation by God. However, man’s individual and collective happiness lies in his disciplining them for the sake of a harmonious, peaceful social life. Unless he so disciplines them, these faculties may drive man to immorality, illicit sexual relationships, unlawful livelihood, tyranny, injustices, deception and falsehood, and other vices. To prevent the chaos and suffering that must follow undisciplined exercise of human powers, man must submit to an authority that will guide and regulate his collective affairs. Since subjugating some people to others more wealthy and powerful means an open injustice and it is impossible for humankind to find out a justice to encompass all people, there is need for a universal intellect, a guidance from beyond human reason and human experience, to whose authority all may freely give their assent. That guidance is the religion revealed and perfected for man by God through His Prophets.
Many people have high level of intelect (here u have to difine what excatly means intelect - is a term used to describe a property of the mind that encompasses many related abilities, such as the capacities to reason, to plan, to solve problems, to think abstractly, to comprehend ideas, to use language, and to learn. There are several ways to define intellect. In some cases, intellect may include traits such as creativity, personality, character, knowledge, or wisdom ) and those people they can belive STRONG in their religion ...Some of those people they pray (In islam ), 5 times by a day,cristians in their church ..they believe the world came from Adam and Eve ,they believe everthing what you doing in this earth u will pay for it later in the eternity (Hell or Heaven ) and etc .
Many intellectuals assert that servanthood to God or religious life is a compensatory device contrived to console man for his own weaknesses and defects. Nevertheless, although modern man, armed with science and technology, entertains the illusion that he can be free of belief in and servanthood to a Supreme Being, and though he sees himself as a powerful one, yet he will, if it serves his self-interest, so far abase himself as to bow in worship before the meanest thing.

The sincere believer does not degrade himself to bow in worship before even the greatest of the created. He is a dignified servant of God who does not take as object of worship a thing of even the greatest benefit like Paradise. Though a modest servant, and gentle in his nature and his bearing, he does not lower himself voluntarily before anybody other than his Creator beyond what He has permitted. Though aware of his weakness and neediness before God, he is independent of others, because he relies upon the Wealth and Power of his One Master.
As a simple human what we all are we cant find all answers ..we have the capacity to use not more then 6 procent of our brain so Space_Phantom26 one thing is to have knowedge for many things ...very different thing is to want to go out of your limits ...even for you thats impossible : )
PP .we are humans..only humans well of course the smartess creatures in this World ....so i suggest that u start looking answers for yourself for examle :what more u can do in your life ?how u can improve yourself ,how u can help people ,how u will raise your kids,what u will leave after you ,how to find peace in your soul ,how u can make people around you happier , (so many questions u have to find the answer ) thats what with YOUR limited mind (laughing ) can do .Dont forget your ,our minds are limited if we were with 100 % working minds then we will be not humans .
With all my respect : )
Back to top Go down
maggie4818mag
maggie4818mag

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 8:48 am

And i hopes u really appreciate that just payed 10 dollars for the program to translate from bulgarian to english every sentence ..(usually doesnt pay for any software but to translate such a serious subject need to use it ) and when rereading it seems doesnt follow all my meaning but hopes u can read between the lines too Smile
Back to top Go down
CwAzY

CwAzY

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 8:59 am

WoW Magggzzz, Religion isn't my subject, but since you took the time and
effort to create it, only seemed polite to read which might i add was of some
interest. Whether you may or may have noticed I never join in the
conversations which are relgion based.

However, that doesn't mean i'm not interested I am, i'm always interested
in things I don't know about this being one of them. As you know I work
with some muslims, and well learn a little from them.

I won't make a comment on your post but congratulate you for posting it,
and thank you for enlightening me.. When the conversations happen in
lobby cause so many say something at same time pretty hard to keep up,
and take in what's been said this way you can read it over and over as
and when you want, I think this is really good as it also a form of learning
different religions, cultures etc etc..

Well done sweetie & thank you Smile

CwAzY
Back to top Go down
spacemariner26
Administrator
Administrator
spacemariner26

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 10:31 am

Mags : )

Great post....and ty : )

Just to clarify....I said, people who blindly believe in things without questioning them are lacking intellect. It doesn't matter how strongly you believe something if you can't rationalize it.

e.g. Some people burned others as witches cos some religious leaders told them to; some people don't believe that dinosaurs could have existed because it would contradict their religious text; some people think the world was created in 7 days cos their religious text tells them so.

This is irrational mags. Strength in your beliefs doesn't mean that you dismiss all other arguments as null and void regardless of any evidence to the contrary. Even questioning the existence God himself you say is a sin. Surely every man or woman doubts at some time? I for one don't believe in God because I have been told to...My belief in God comes partly from my upbringing but mostly from an understanding gained through much thought and discussion.

Many people of faith have contributed hugely to the progress of mankind. Strong belief is not a handicap unless it is accompanied by strong ignorance : )

Space

Last edited by spacemariner26 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sylvia
Sylvia

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 11:08 am

hey maggie,
grat post to read about your religion shows us you stay to 200 % after what you believe .that is good

myself believes not realy to god ,,,,means i dont go in the church and pray for my soul or something. We all has moments where we sit and ask to someone who shall do what for you...but do we need the Institutuin church in any forms for that?
pick any religion,,,,no matter...why must the world get so many wars about a god ? Why must have the priests big palasts, churchs full with gold and wealths? if i read the bible i dont think that was what jesus has want .
The priests today use the medien to let people do what they want and they do it all ,, moslems ,christians etc .. and if i hear in the news if they try to force it i ask myself always ..can a god want that ?
Like the pope the poor people in afrika tells ,,,kondome woulnt help against Aids. or if some radikale Moslems want that the whole world need to believe the same or they are nothing....
that all and many more let the institution Church and beliefs make in my eys a sad thing who i never would stand up for .
Back to top Go down
Si

Si

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 2:14 pm

I dont believe in God as such. I hope no one will think less of me for this.

Perhaps the buddhists are right where people die and are reborn many times and eventually reach heaven and thats just the way it is, thats just how this universe works

But i dont understand why i get great pleasure just looking at a beautiful sky, flower, countryside, an act of kindness or a sunny day. Some days I think, or would like to think that there is a conection between all people.

Carl Jung believed there was a collective unconscience , a human experiance and knowledge base that we all connect to with out knowing it. And things. Maybe the connection is that we all contain carbon atoms. Perhaps there is a connection between human and Even inanimate things like a rock. Maybe an unknown force like gravity. After all every single
thing on earth is made from electrons and protons which thems-elves are connected by a force known in Physics as "the strong nuclear force" Or maybe the chaos theory predicts that sometimes just the flap of a butterflys wings can tip unstable air masses causing
a large storm which can blow away houses. Who would have thought there could be a connection
There are so many theories. Each person person on earth will have a slightly different view or even if 2 views are the same then their daily actions will be different.
Back to top Go down
TheLegend
TheLegend

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 7:28 pm

Wow - I never knew you guys knew so little about religion. It is obvious that you never studied it. It is pretty funny to see someone who never studied it try to have an intellectual discussion on it. Syl, I suggest you go to Bible study program so that you learn the teaching, it might help you understand why people think the way they do. If you really think wars are started over religion then you are oblivious to the other factors in each and every war. Usually fear, greed and protectionism are the real reasons for wars. Religion is a catalyst used to justify it. I know there are some nice churches around the world, but few compare to even the nicer hotels in the US or UK. I don't see the grand structures around the world that you speak of. I also don't know of many pastors or priests that are rich. Most work for below the national pay average. Again, you use the few exploitations to try to make a point - and that is quite contrary to the facts. And while I don't agree with the Pope about condom use - he is right. If you don't do drugs and have random sexual partners you will NEVER have to worry about aids. I don't mean for this to sound rude, but your lack of understanding the Bible is very apparent.
I recommend you find someone that has studied the Bible talk to you about it. I will be the first to say that I am not studied enough to be that person, yet your flaws are glaring to even me. Sure people have used religion for evil purposes, but compared to the good that it has done it doesn't even come close.

Si, I like your post. I surely don't mind that you haven't found any connection to a religion. I think you hit on a key point - there are many theories about our existance. I would like to suggest that real Bible study might enlighten you. Not only to understand why so many people believe in it, but also why there are so many different theories even from the same book.

Simon - your theory is by far the most curious of any of the postings. It is filled with many contradictions. Of course humans have to have something to believe in. Our world is based on laws (in real or theory) because you are right that we need it. This belief can take on the form of a religion or science. The fact is that most of our current laws are based on the ten commandments. Without these laws it would hard for people to know how to do the right thing spiritually. The Bible contains a guide for life. Of course that also applies to the practical - like how stop signs and traffic lights make our life better. You think people should be allowed to think how they want - and that gave us Hilter, Hussein, Stalin, etc. Find me ANY idea out there and I will find someone to back you. Want to marry goats? I bet there is an internet group trying to promote it. NAMBLA is known throughout the world. Rules exist for the good of man. Yes the Bible was written by men. Several men from different parts of the world - all with the same story. Few historians would doubt the existance of Jesus or his following. Do people use the Bible (or other religious matter) for their own good or self-serving purposes? Yes. Does that make it right? Nope. It is funny that you say religion is discredited because it was written by man - yet 100% of science is man written (and re-written, and re-written). You are wrong that everything can be justified in religion - but right that people can be convinced that their actions are justified. I believe in a God - not the works. The Bible is just a tool for us. You make huge errors about how people think about religion. Without the knowledge on the subject you will continue to make huge errors and assumptions that make your posts look contradictory. Humans in fact know what is right and wrong - we have been taught. Intellect is crucial to a real religion - your belief that they don't go together is naive.

Space, the Bible never said to burn witches or to gain wealth from its followerers. I know you know that. What people use as an excuse does not forgive the crime. That is why I am outspoken on what the muslim extremist are doing now. (Lest I even point out that they are killing more innocent people than people they oppose) Man is totally ignorant about the world. Hell we thought the world was flat a few hundred years ago. All of our technology and we can't even explore our oceans or the space around us. Can you rationalize science? Only if your dogmatic view is oblivious to the fact that science disproves itself over and over.

"Science" as we know is just theory. Every year we disprove some "fact" that we relied on to base all of our previous assumptions. Every scientist must have a dogmatic outlook - he cannot question his own theory because that would prove him (and his work) worthless. I love how carbon dating had to be rewritten by millons of years due to new discoveries. I love it - NEW RULES - now let's rewrite our science. Some things do make sense in evolution due to environmental pressure - some clearly do not. The simple fact is that we do not know much about real history on the earth from even 3000 years ago.

There will always be people who use religion as a basis for their evil. I don't expect that to ever change. *cough*Taliban*cough* I totally agree with Space, you should question your religion. That is exactly what my church does. I don't see how dinosaurs contracdict intelligent design though. For most of the comments you guys post - I notice you base it on extremist while ignoring the billions of people in history who were religious and did the right thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 10:06 pm

merry christmas

Last edited by Lillie on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
msgiggles

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 12:26 am

ever wondered what got left out and why? lol

Religion - each to their own, no right or wrong thing to believe in.
I don't agree with forcing beliefs down another persons throat.
I don't agree with saying someones beliefs are wrong or what they interprete as that belief as wrong.

Those just make the person saying whats wrong as the one who is less open to ideas etc. We all have our own ideas when it comes to beliefs ( i say beliefs because i think religion is too directive) LIFE is just that life. If one person wants to believe a higher entity first made it then it works for that person, it gets them through the hard times etc.

ME? im far too cynical and i guess greedy, i am what i am, my parents made me, i made my children. I'm guided by mistakes and the ideas of those around me (oh look just like it says in the bible with jesus and his disciples Wink ) but not in a holier than thou kind of way.

Oh and G, don't know how things work where you are but here in the uk, different religions are taught and spoken about from a very young age in school, not just the one, its to teach the children how the whole world believes! and not produce such bigots and opinionated people. Wink

*muppets disclaimer on this post, im typing it while needing sleep*
Back to top Go down
Si

Si

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 2:00 am

well legend. You say it is obvious that us guys havent read the bible
Well you are incorrect. I have read the bible a number of times.
You suggest I should take bible studies :-
Some christians say that is all you need to do is read the bible and that bible studies
are yet more interpretations of what it says ( further obscuring the truth )
The bible has been translated repeatedly into many laguages eg from jewish to latin to english
Translations are never perfect.
I think only 20 years ago it was "reinterpreted". My version says "you shall not kill"
but this has been changed by humans into "you shall not murder"
You may not think this matters but this seems to allow "lawful killings", so does this mean
Adolf Hitler was justified in killing millions of people. He made the "law" therefore his
killings were "lawful". It also allows the gas chamber in america, Thats convenient.
Just one word has many subtle or even completly different meanings If you multiply that by millions
of words in the bible you have more interpretations than atoms in the universe.
The best way to "know" the bible would be to read it in hebrew, its original language.
But even then parts have been removed over the last 2000 years (gospel of thomas, heaven IS actually on earth) and other
gospels. The real truth will never be known

You single out muslim extreamists but surely you should condemn all extreamists
* cough * george bush / tony blair * cough * amonst others

You say we need to be taught right and wrong but i think this is something that the
majority of humans have built into our brains. Treat others how you would like to be treated yourself
(the golden law)

Some christians go to church, others take bible studies, some do neither. The choice is yours .
Atheism, agnosticism, mysticism, spirituality, religion, science, logic ,psychology , a mixture of these
or none of the above.
Whatever works for you is ok
just as long it doesnt harm others or more importantly yourself.
What you choose depends on your psychology and life events. And your interpretations change over time.
You get 1% bad people in all aspects of society or religions. That 1% give the other good 99% a bad name
99% of the good things in the world never get reported in the biased "news"

17.5% of all statistics are made up - Vic Reeves Smile

Today word : Tolerance The capacity for or the practice of recognizing and respecting the beliefs or practices of
others
Back to top Go down
Sylvia
Sylvia

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 2:25 am

hi legend ....
that what i talked for.....the relegionfanatiker want to dobtrien the thoughts of everyone !! I dont must study any relegion to have a thought and a own option! tomrow we talk maybe about nuclear power plants and i must admit ,,i has study that not too.
I didnt say they priest are rich ,,they never ,,,nope i has talk of some chruch who the prunk is so massive,,, is looks fantastic ( do your self the favor and viste Rom and the chruchs there ) ..my question was more ....must the chruch that rich with all the wealth or should the pope maybe bring the money to afrika to help all these who hopless ill with Adis ....total true if you hasnt sex you cant get aids...What a silly argument ..we know it better here ,,,and even not all in the cevil world ,,but in afrika where they has nothing , they was often also never in a school, to tell so people = go pray has no sex and you will not get ill...is more then a silly thought ..
and like i said .....I dont need a church, a pope or other Götzen who i has to pray too...i hasnt say i want that you think like me,,,,i said i hate that the relegion always has the feeling to reform all? and if you or other tell me in such a aggresive voice i has to believe and to follow the pope , the budismus,, the moslems ...then i tell you is you the sheap who follow without thinking and not me and i accept all who believe in god in any form but it isnt right at all ,,,,and that means even me who hasnt study religion know about it ....and to you as american who was such a big fan of Bush ,,,even this bush has more then once start a war and tells us = we do it in a name of god !!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if this Universum has gods ,, then sure has no one of them want a war !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sylvia
Back to top Go down
TheLegend
TheLegend

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 8:01 am

Lillie, I think you missed the most important point I made in that post. Science IS a religion. You make the most basic of errors - you assume that your scientific facts are correct! That is the most glaring error in your thought process. Like I said, science is the most dogmatic of all thought processes. You even sum it up best when you say that science is advanced by trying to prove a theory! Are there processes that try to disprove it? Yes. But in science the whole goal is to discover something new. If your theory can be proven wrong then your work isn't view as important. Of course, when new evidence comes out that shows our "scientific fact" was wrong we just casually rewrite everything we know. I am curious as to what you can name that is a true science - and please find one that hasn't had theories revoked at one point or the other. And pick something with some serious longevity, 100 years hardly qualifies as an acceptable time frame for scientific fact.
That being said, obviously science IS vastly important to improving our lives and is a very necessary study for mankind. We use the rules of science to base many of our actions every day. The same applies to religous thought too. Clearly most of our laws are based on the Bible (or other documents) and we are better for it. If we were perfect people and followed the guidelines in the Bible, there would be no wars and the world would be an amazing place. If you don't study the teachings then you are clueless about the expectations, examples and goals of being a Christian. Yes, religion has had to adapt to current times and sometimes we get it wrong too. Religion is "based on as much fact" as possible too. There are ancient documents supported by several people around the world that wrote works compiled into a guide that we call the Bible.
If you think religion is only to give you strength, comfort or a good feeling - then you never understood religion. Actually it is the opposite. It is a faith that your hard work and effort in doing the right thing will result in the ability to go to heaven. If you don't give money to the church it won't make you go to hell. If you do something bad you can make a fresh start. It isn't a get out jail free card - you have to be sincere.
What do you consider forcing religion down your throat? Does that mean making abortion illegal in law? Does it mean someone simply talking to you about it? I want to know what has happened in your life that you feel religion was forced on you.
Now here is where you went a bit crazy. "Keep the masses dumb and force them to follow. I'm sure you know about that." LOL, that is funny and if you believe that you shouldn't comment on religion. Clearly you never went to Bible study if you believe that. That is WHY Christians go to church - to learn and to question! Grasp that basic concept first, then you can talk intelligently about religion. You remind me of the people who don't fly in airplanes because they see the horrific headlines about a crash - yet every day they get into their car which is WAY more dangerous. This is exactly your thought process and it is completely flawed. You don't hear much about the soup kitchens, free housing, homeless care, etc that churches do. If a "Christian" does something bad then it makes headlines. Did some people use religion to help conduct war sure? Hitler convinced himself that he was doing the right thing. You miss a glaring conterpoint that the other side had religion and thought what he was doing was wrong and gave their lives to fight it. Again I find it amusing that you think religion made these wars. As I said before, most of it was either greed or protectionsim or fear. Religion might have been used to justify the actions of one (or all) of those - but it wasn't the REASON for the war. If you don't see that - then show me a war/crusade that proves me wrong.
Still on the crazy part...where did I say people can't think what they want? I am Christian but I don't think Jews are going to hell. The whole point of learning about the Bible is understand why your religion has the views it does. I went to Catholic school and I learned that I don't agree with many of their teachings or ritualist practices. Again, I don't think they are going to hell. Overall their beliefs on the most important teachings are the same - and based on the Bible. I am curious how I can encourage Bible study and you think I want to discourage free thinking. What part of the bible were censored? What parts were changed? I would love to research this.
I like how you apprecitate morals and values, but I find it amusing that you don't give credit to the Bible for this. It is like enjoying a milkshake but ignoring the cow's role. Without the basics we have nothing to add our flavors to. It is very obvious that you do not have a strong conviction about your relgion when you say "its a nice story". I doubt that you know much about your faith, or why your church thinks the way they do. I don't mind that - but to discuss a religion you need to understand the basics of the thoughts of a Christian.
Back to top Go down
TheLegend
TheLegend

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 8:40 am

Rach - I do disagree with some of your post. I think there is something wrong with some religions. Some are based on less fact and more human interpretation. (Jesus and his following was recorded in many ancient documents from around the world). Religion is such a broad term too. I do think some beliefs are clearly wrong - an example would be the Mormon faith. Or Scientology for non-Christians. Worshipping UFOs isn't something I get. I am open to ideas and by no means think I know the answers. Rach I live in the USA, probably the most diverse country in the world. Even at Catholic school we were taught about islam, judiasm, etc. The fact that my parents sent me there should show that they were committed to me learning about everything. I do think some beliefs are wrong though. Again we can go back to Hilter or any extremist for that. The goal of Bible study is not only to learn, but to question so that we don't make the same mistakes again. I completely agree about how the 1% bad make all the headlines. I challenge anyone who thinks otherwise to ask a local church what it does for charity. Those soup kitchens just never make the headlines. I would like to know what got left out though.
Back to top Go down
msgiggles

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 9:14 am

you know why YOU see them as clearly wrong though don' t you?

ITS because you believe in one set way! not open to the other ideas/interpretations of the said 'religion'.

you're all closed minds if you ask me Very Happy

G you shock me.... you spent many a time dictating about maggies beliefs where now you are coming across very openly that its because you are set in your ways because of your own religion. JUDGING OTHERS BY IT TOO!

i'm walking away now cause i find it all very sad (not pathetic sad actual upsetting sad)
Back to top Go down
cmill_0909
cmill_0909

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 9:31 am

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one
Back to top Go down
msgiggles

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 9:42 am

awww thats the tune that my 3rd daughters first toy plays hehe. Says alot!
Back to top Go down
TheLegend
TheLegend

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 9:56 am

Si - I am not doubting that probably all of you have read the Bible. My point is that to UNDERSTAND it, you really have to STUDY it. I can read Shakespeare a few times and still not get all that I need to out of it without a class and discussion (and that is WAY less complicated that the Bible). The more educated you are about it, then the better discussion you can have on it with specifics. I suggested a Bible study only because if you find a good one, there are so many things to discuss. Its a seriously deep book.

The issue I keep seeing is the generalizations about religion/Christians. Do some Christians say you don't need to come to church or just read the Bible and things are fine? Sure. Is that correct? Nope. If you are putting your faith in something - why in the world wouldn't you study it? You have to study it - plain and simple. Yes people keep wanting to change the Bible - and I don't believe in it. It is pretty much black and white in it's teachings about what to do. I agree - I don't think reinterpreting things work. But translation is not an issue. Not much is lost in a translation and what is (in my opinion) is not going to stop you from going to heaven! It isn't like in the English translation lust or stealing is ok. That is why Hilter was clearly wrong. You make very valid point about things like the death penality though. I don't know how I feel about that. That is a great subject to investigate. "Eye for an eye" vs "thou shalt not kill". I would tend to side with the ten commandments, but that pains me.

I single out muslim extremist because they have are the worst offenders we have on this planet at the moment. They specifically target the innocent and attack them over and over. You may be right that George Bush and Tony Blair made mistakes, but as you write in freedom and are allowed to say what you want you must thank not only them, but the ones before them too. Are the always right? No. But I challenge you to move to China and type what you are doing now! Look at Tibet - the Chinese have even kicked everyone out of this part of the country.

Si - like it or not - you learned most of what is right and wrong from the Bible. It isn't built into our brains - it is taught from an early age and made into laws. Most of our current laws are based on the Bible in North American, Europe and many parts of the world. You can't dispute that. I agree that people can believe whatever works for them - but that doesn't make you a Christian. Don't confuse not hurting people with being a good person. Don't confuse Christians as perfect people. And finally. don't confuse knowing something about religion as being educated on it. As I said before, I am hardly educated on it.
Back to top Go down
TheLegend
TheLegend

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 10:30 am

Simon - lol - you views are so myoptic. This is why you can't have intelligent discussion on the matter. To you my beliefs may be strict but to others they seem quite liberal. You can't judge things solely from your point of view in a debate. As I said, I am totally open to discussion - but your ramblings have no valid point. Clearly you can't comprehend what I am saying so let me break it down on the most simple of terms.
I said many times that I do not know all the answers. I also said that not only do I value others opinions, but I don't make a statement that a religion based on the Bible is wrong. Who is right - Catholics? Jews? Muslims? I don't know. I think Mormons are wrong, but I also think their faith isn't based on the Bible. Do they get into heaven? I don't think so, but then again I don't know. It isn't my place to make that call. Stating my opinion is just my opinion - it isn't being defensive. You are the close minded one here with your generalizations about religious people. You know little to nothing about religion, yet wish to enter a debate clueless. You call people close minded, narrow minded and defensive, yet all my posts clearly show you are wrong. You make broad statements like religious people are the least tolerant without any backing. The fact is that Maggie and I disagree about many things on religion, but we both value each other's opinion. Guess that makes us both intolerant? How can we continue to be friends then? See, your statements just don't make sense. I detect that something has happened to you in life that when challenged you become quite afraid. You name call and attack what you don't understand. You are ignorant of people of faith and I don't mind that. Just don't espouse to be intellectual on a matter that you have no educational basis on. You can call me all the names you want, I promise, I won't cry. Just go to school before you try to debate someone.
Back to top Go down
Si

Si

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 11:32 am

legend Unfortunatley the only reason america or england governments care about freedom is if it suits their interests.
America helped put Saddam Hussain in power (dictator = no freedom) and sold him weapons because it suited america
Then When he invaded Kuwait and the price of oil rose , saddam no longer suited america so it took him out of power
It is all a large game, all the previous american governments care about is money and influence over other contries. England had this
and lost it and america will also

I think if one translation of the bible calls war or the gas chamber or Hitler lawfull killing and another calls it murder (thou shall not kill / murder)
then surly this is very imporant to christians .

I am afaid i didnt learn what is right and wrong from the bible, its very simple treat others how you would like to be
treated yourself. I learnt this from my mum who was a tolerant person , I didnt read the bible until i was 11 years old

I dont know how you can say you have an open mind and then say Mormonism is "clearly wrong". Surely any one persons belief system
is as valid as any other . If you were born in a jewish/mormom/muslim etc etc family or society, you would belive their religious texts

I think the gospel of Thomas was removed from the bible - Heven is Actually on earth ,other gospels were also removed

no one can ever fully understand the bible or any book, you see in it what you want to see. If you think killing someone is sometimes
justified then you can find a passage in the bible that justifies it. If you think killing is never justified you can also find
another passage which justifies that.

Todays word is still : Tolerance : The capacity for or the practice of recognizing and respecting the beliefs or practices of
others
Back to top Go down
spacemariner26
Administrator
Administrator
spacemariner26

PostSubject: Re: Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect   Religion (part 1) -  religion and intellect EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 2:11 pm

THIS TOPIC IS NOW LOCKED DUE TO AMOUNT OF POSTS ACCEPTABLE IN A FORUM!

TO CONTINUE THIS DISCUSSION - PLEASE GO TO RELIGION 2 (IN THE SAME CATEGORY)

THANK YOU
Back to top Go down

Religion (part 1) - religion and intellect
Page 1 of 1